Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:00:41 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

Jo Rhett wrote:
> Okay, I totally understand that FreeBSD wants people to upgrade from 6.2
> to 6.3.

It isn't that we want people to upgrade, it's that we are trying to be
realistic regarding what we have the resources to support.

> But given that 6.3 is still experiencing bugs with things that
> are working fine and stable in 6.2, this is a pretty hard case to make.

I admit to not having been following 6.x too closely, but are these
things that have been reported, or problems you're having personally?

> This is also a fairly significant investment in terms of time and money
> for any business to handle this ugprade.

Having an upgrade path is something every operation needs. "Set it and
forget it" isn't a viable strategy in the current culture where 0-day
vulnerabilities are becoming increasingly common.

hth,

Doug