Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:34:27 +0100
From:      mato <gamato@users.sf.net>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no modules / services needed for BT mouse support (?)

Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> 2011/3/14 martinko<gamato@users.sf.net>:
>
>> Hallo,
>>
>> I had a Logitech bluetooth mouse connected via USB BT dongle.  In the past I
>> used to load ng_ubt and bthidd and hcsecd to make the mouse work.  The same
>> I did for a friend on old PC-BSD.  But it appears that since moving to the
>> version 8.x we no longer need to load any of the above and the mouse works
>> out-of-box.  Unfortunately it does not respond to wheel movement (pressing
>> it does generate middle click).
>>
> are we talking about freebsd or pc-bsd here? i'm confused :)
>
> there were no changes in this area in freebsd. you still need to load
> ng_ubt(4) to recognize local bluetooth device (i.e. bluetooth dongle
> connected to your computer). usually its done via loader.conf, i.e.
> put something like
>
> ng_ubt_load="YES"
>
> into /boot/loader.conf.
>
> devd(8) will start/stop bluetooth stack as soon as it detects
> ng_ubt(4) device arrival/departure.
>
> bthidd(8), hcsecd(8) etc. are bluetooth service daemons, and, those
> needs to be started. usually one puts something like
>
> hcsecd_enable="YES"
> bthidd_enable="YES"
>
> into /etc/rc.conf to start bluetooth services.
>
> assuming all of the above is in place, and, mouse was paired
> previously, then it will work "out-of-the-box"
>

>> Now this all is a bit surprising for me.  And I'm not sure which part of the
>> system is responsible for the behaviour -- kernel, USB stack, HAL, X11, .. ?
>>
> ng_ubt(4) driver for usb bluetooth devices
> devd(8) responds to events and starts/stops bluetooth stack
>

>>   Also, I'd like to know how to make wheel working again.
>>
> can you please provide hid descriptor?
>
> thanks
> max

Hi Max,

Thank you for your reply.

Probably I wasn't clear.  I am aware of how to enable BT mouse in
FreeBSD, I used it for several years.  I did the same for PC-BSD and it
worked as expected.
But now, with the same mouse on a friend's computer running (latest)
PC-BSD, I do no need to do anything and it works.  There is no ng_ubt
loaded, yet I see /dev/ums0 and mouse works both in console and X11.
The issue is that its wheel does not work.
So I was confused as to how it can work out-of-box and why wheel is
dead.  One idea that occured to me is that BIOS recognises and emulates
it (dongle + mouse), though that sounds strange.
Btw, when I tried to set it up as usual (and as you wrote above), it
stopped working (on that PC-BSD machine).

Hm..

M.