Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 14:38:40 +0000
From:      Attila Raffai <attila.raffai@intermec.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   out of file descriptors?

I cvsupd RELENG_3 to upgrade my  system running
3.0-RELEASE .
Make world compiled without errors but when I tried
to build a new kernel I got undefined references in syscons.o
so I cvsuped RELENG_3 again and made the world  once
more (this time I also managed to mess up my source tree,
when comparing /etc with /usr/src/etc, I think).
When compiling the kernel I got the same undefined references
 in syscons.o as the first time.
Frustrated as I was  I shut down the computer  for that  day.
 Now, when I boot the machine it  probes
the hardware and then says ":. out of file descriptors"
and asks me for the shell I would like to use in single user mode.
When I press return for /bin/sh I get  "source not found"
printed before getting the prompt.
The only partition mounted is my root partition.
I can still mount the other partitions  manually and everything  looks
intact.

Can someone tell me what's wrong and what to do next?

Thanks,
Attila