Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:02:41 -0500
From:      kitsune <kitsune@gmx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        defacto@home.se
Subject:   Re: Why is FreeBSD so SLOW?

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:04:08 +0200
Jalle <defacto@home.se> wrote:

> Hello FreeBSD friends!
>
> First of all, I just want to say that this mail is not meant to offend
> anyone, and that it is a technical oriented mail, only with a tint of
> "computer theology". I don't wish to start another one of those "holy
> wars"-threads (FreeBSD vs Linux vs Windows kinda), I just wan't to sort
> some stuff out.
>
> I've been using FreeBSD for a few years now and I like the freedom and
> control it gives me. After running it alongside Win2k (which, frankly, is a
> great OS) for several years I finally switched to FreeBSD only, no more
> dual-boot! =o)

Sounds like a troll... but I have nothing better to do as of currently.

> Now, everyone says that FreeBSD is supposed to be so fast and reliable.
> Reliable, I fully agree! But fast? No, it's actually much slower on my
> machine than any Windows distro ever was! Sure, only running in text mode
> is fast as hell, but no good for everyday use. I've tried several WMs and
> Desktop Suites, like Enlightenment (e16 and e17), Blackbox, Gnome2, KDE3
> etc. They're great n' all, but as soon as I switch to graphical UI
> everything slows down to a snail's pace! Even a simple terminal is slow.

If blackbox is not playing nicely then something is def wack with ye's system. I've never had any probs with that WM.

> I've played around with Linux a couple of times, and with several flavors
> (Mandrake, Debian, RedHat, Gentoo), and they where all MUCH faster using a
> graphical interface than FreeBSD!

> I have a Pentium III 450 MHz with 320 MB RAM, a SoundBlaster AWE 64 Gold
> and a Matrox G400 MAX video card. I know, this is not top-of-the-line
> hardware, but that doesn't mean that it should run three or four (or more)
> times faster under Linux, right?

Sounds like you have configured something badly. I've used slower system with crappier hardware and had no problems and it had no problems playing movies. It ran quite nicely.

Are you using a optimized kernel? Are the ports ye are using optimized? What about mem leaks?  Is some program eating a massive number of cycles?

> So, to the point! I like FreeBSD (I prefer using FBSD before Windows or
> Linux), and I would like to keep using it. But if I can't watch a movie or
> use a decent file manager I will have to switch to Linux. Oh yeah, BTW, is
> there really NO WAY of getting simultaneous sounds in FreeBSD?!? I think
> that's kinda crappy. I mean MS did it, why can't we?
>
> Finally the QUESTION: Why is my FreeBSD box so slow? I figure, if FreeBSD
> in general was so slow, then noone would really use it. Are there any
> "standard tricks" in the book that speeds up a slow X server or WM, or just
> FreeBSD in general?

See above...