Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:36:24 +0200
From:      Bertram Scharpf <lists@bertram-scharpf.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Permissions and SANE/scanimage

Hi,

my scanner works perfectly when I log in in as root. As an
unprivileged user, I just get this error message:

  $ scanimage -L

I ended up in a brute force attempt saying in /etc/devfs.conf:

  perm * 0666

Still, this didn't work. Starting "truss" and "diff" relvealed the
following difference:

root:
  open("/dev/ugen0.2",O_RDWR,00)           ERR#6 'Device not configured'
  open("/dev/ugen0.2",O_WRONLY,00)       = 6 (0x6)
unprivileged user:
  open("/dev/ugen0.2",O_RDWR,00)           ERR#13 'Permission denied'

Even when saying something like

  chmod 0666 /dev/ugen0.2

the permissions will be 0644 after the run of "scanimage -L".

Could somebody please enlighten me what's going on here? What did I miss
when installing Sane?

"pkg_info -Dx sane-backends" stays empty.

Thanks in advance.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf