Date:      Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:38:48 -0400
From:      "Michael C. Cambria" <mcc@fid4.com>
To:        Nickolay Kritsky <Nickolay.Kritsky@astra-sw.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cisco vpn experience?

Nickolay Kritsky wrote:

> I had a an experience of connecting 4.9 to cisco 3600 with ESP/3des/Md5 site-to-site IPsec vpn with ISAKMP based on preshared key. Software used was racoon and isakmp.

I can second this, though I was using pre 4.9 (4.8?).    The key is to
use "site-to-site" vs. the road warrior type configurations on the 3600.

Vendor road warrior setups I've seen tend to use a (proprietary) client
to connect.  The client (to simplify) will do things like setup a
SSL/TLS connection for userid/password, send info for IKE (or just a
"pre-shared" key), policy configuration etc. via that connection and
modify the client's default route to send everything via the IPsec
tunnel <g>.  Then IPsec/IKE takes over.

The only had part is getting the admin for the 3600 to cooperate (e.g.
treat my connection as different than everyone else.)

MikeC

--
Michael C. Cambria

email : mcc@fid4.com