Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:30:00 -0500
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Satria Bramana <bramz4ever@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Webmail

Satria Bramana wrote:
> Can anyone who had experience running a web-based e-mail give suggestion what package to use? I will only use it for study purpose, so I need one that easy to configure and help me understand the big picture about mailserver.. Thank you very much..

I use postfix and dovecot, and dovecot is in imap4 mode.  This makes it
possible for me to use seamonkey (or really, any browser that has a mail
interface) to pick up my mail from any location.  Does good enough
filtering, although I am investigating adding some extra filtering via
postfix.  Setting up dovecot/postfix is easier than most mailers (it's a
PITA, but the others are basically worse) and there are a lot of
examples on the web for setting the combination of postfix/dovecot up.

For security, I use ssl (openssl) and ssl has a really nice tool,
"openssl", that has among its different modes, sclient and sserver,
which allow pretty good testing of your ssl setup, and you can find on
the web instructions for setting up your keys (lts of examples all over).