Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 04:41:24 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT install problem

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 03:21:57PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > I recently donated TWO DPT controllers and FIVE disk drives.  They went to
> > two separate FreeBSD prominent figures, but still do not add up to 20GB.
>
> Then we need some accountability from these prominent figures.  Where
> is their feedback on this discussion?

My feedback is mainly that I don't have 20GB of diskspace, and
(probably) won't have for quite some time.  I'll be glad to do testing
when I have.  However, it is more likely that I can put together a
truckload of IDE disks as a RAID-0 than a 20GB DPT array; I have
exactly two wide SCSI-II disks (the ones I got with the DPT from
Simon, to be able to do local 'make release' instead of occupying his
machine).

However, as long as the issue is only the size of the partitions, I
think there are better ways of solving this - e.g, a compressing
variant of the vn device.  This would let regression testing run on
any box, instead of having to throw away 20GB of diskspace.  (There
were also some hints about more issues in one of Tom's messages).

Eivind.