Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 05:29:00 +0000
From:      "Seamus Roche" <seamusjr@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   mysql.sock error, when trying to safe_mysqld as non-root admin

I have successfully installed MySQL from ports for FreeBSD 4.5 Stable.  The
next step I took was to set up my non-root MySQL admin user who I created a
new user specifically for the task called: mysqladm.  So I went and enabled
mysqladm to write and execute from /tmp/ and I chowned the mysql-server
files from root to mysqladm with mysql group, but I keep getting this same
error if I try to run safe_mysql from mysqladm user:

bash-2.05$ safe_mysqld
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
rm: /tmp/mysql.sock: Operation not permitted
020418 00:23:28  mysqld ended

Cheers,
Seamus

Thanks to Donnie Jones and Jesper Wallin for the help with the hostname
problem while installing MySQL.