Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:56:14 +0900
From:      chas <panda@skinnyhippo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how can you tell when disk i/o is limiting performance ?

Is there any method to measure disk I/O, in particular to
work out if it is limiting performance ?

Context :
1 x 18 GB SCSI HD (10,000 RPM)

Each day :
200,000    x  CGI processes, each reading 2 or 3 flat files
100,000    x  CGI processes, each reading/writing to mysql database
1,000,000+ x  flat files (images, .html etc)

plus 400 MB+ of apache log files are created each day.

There seems to be ample RAM and CPU (and we're not even going
into swap) but the website is really crawling. I realise that
this could be due to the poor bandwidth in China (where the
server is hosted) but would like to also monitor the disk i/o
if it's possible since the CGIs open a lot of files and the apache
log files are being written nonstop.

Hopefully then I can plan/budget for more disks and/or a second
server as traffic reaches a threshold.

So :
a) can this be measured ?  (i.e how do you know when your disk i/o is
   the limiting factor ? )
b) would it make more sense to have 3 separate (physical) disks for :
   - apache log files
   - mysql database
   - operating system, applications, website files/cgi

  The reasoning behind having mysql database on a dedicated disk is that
  i remember working with Cold Fusion and SQL server on NT - it was better
  to have 2 small machines (cold fusion and website sat on one, sql server
  sat on another) than one huge beast of a machine with both application
  and server and database sat on it.  So I guess that still hold true for
  hard disks on the same box, though I'm not sure 1 + 1 = 2 in terms of
  performance.

Thanking you in advance,

chas