Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
To:        Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, <dave@jetcafe.org>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, George Reid <george.reid@oriel.ox.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Lawrence Sica wrote:

> > Actually the Islamic doctrine of mukhalafa says that it Allah is *so*
> > different from his creatures that it is impossible to postulate
> > anything
> > about him at all.  But then what is the Koran if not an attempt to do
> > this?  In addition, Islam falsifies itself, since the Koran recognizes
> > the Torah and the Christian scriptures as true revelations from God,
> > yet
> > claims that Christ did not raise from the dead.  The Koran contradicts
> > itself.
> >

> And what about the Christian writings that state tolerance for the
> sinners above all?  And then in the same breathe condemns gays,
> justified slavery via the bible, justifies wars now and the killing of
> abortionists?

Where does Christianity justify any of this?  A condemnation of a
behavior does not amount to a justification for persecution.  And the
fact that slavery existed in the Bible also does not amount to a
justification of it.

> Every religion has it's contradictions, Islam isnt
> special here.  And What is the exact wording the koran uses?  Are you
> sure you are interpreting it correctly?  That's the great thing about
> any religious writing, its "divine inspiration"  but then man is left
> to decipher it's meaning....

If Islam is going to accept the authority of the Christian gospels, it
does not then have the right to contradict its most fundamental claims.
Claiming that every religion has its contradictions does not make it so.
Islam defeats itself on *it's own* terms.

I can just see it now, everybody is going to jump in with their list
of 101 bible contradictions.  I've been there and done that, folks.
You know, maybe we ought to treat the Bible just like any other piece
of literature, and if two passages *can* be interpreted in such a way
as to make them not blatantly contradictory, maybe we ought to accept
that interpretation, eh?

Neal