Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:19:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 Upgrade ||  XFree86 version

On 2002-08-15, MET scribbled:

# Ok well the /usr/X11R6/bin/X -version worked -- accordingly I'm running
# XFree86 version 3.3.6.  So how would I go about upgrading to the latest
# version?

There are two ways that you can install the latest version of XFree86 on
your machine...

1. Ports

You can install XFree86-4.2.0 from the ports collection under
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4.

2. Binaries from XFree86.org

You can download the FreeBSD 4.x binaries from XFree86.org at:

ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.0/binaries/FreeBSD-4.x/

Just download all of the files into a directory and run the following
command within that directory as root:

# sh Xinstall.sh

It will walk you through the installation process, asking some questions
about which packages you want or not. If you have enough drive space,
choosing the defaults should be fine. If you are a bit tight on space,
then tell it not to install the Docs, some of the non-English fonts, and
possibly the Virtual Framebuffer stuff.

The ports method is a bit easier, though it will take a while to
download and compile (not as bad as say Mozilla or KDE3).

--

Linh Pham                                         lplist@closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                        http://closedsrc.org