Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:55:23 +0200
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        J A Shamsi <jashamsi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS and FIREWALL

Hey there,

Bind (all name servers in fact) use the TCP port 53.  You must however
also make sure that UDP (port 53 as well) is left open, otherwise you
won't be able to make any DNS requests.  Something like:

01100 allow udp from x.x.x.x 53 to x.x.x.x
01200 allow udp from x.x.x.x to any 53

in ipfw will work just fine for normal requests, but remember that you
must also allow people to connect to port 53 on your server if you want
them to be able to make DNS queries to it.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Marc