Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2008 08:37:16 -0600
From:      Steve Randall <srandall52@sbcglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7 load hangs on boot

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:54:45 -0800 (PST)
ThinkDifferently <Jeremy@FutureCIS.com> wrote:

> Polytropon wrote:
> >

> > ThinkDifferently wrote:
> >> hptrr: no controller detected.
> >
> > It looks like there's a proble with the hptrr driver? Have you
> > tried loading the "HighPoint RocketRAID device drive" by putting
> >
> > 	hptrr_load="YES"
> >
> > into /boot/loader.conf?
> >
> > Further information can be obtained by:
> >
> > 	% man hptrr
> >
> > Check if your particular controller is supported.
> >

> I went back to this, using my USB boot device and edited /boot/loader.conf
> to have hptrr_load="YES".  Still, no joy.
>
> Also, I've been able to determine that I don't have a RocketRAID device.
> That's a separate RAID card, and I simply don't have one.  What I have is an
> onboard NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller.  I'm befuddled as to why FreeBSD
> thinks I have RocketRAID.

It doesn't. FreeBSD DOES include the hptrr driver (among many others)
in the generic kernel. Most drivers remain quiet when they find nothing
to drive, but not hptrr. The message confirms that you DON'T have
RocketRAID, and gives no insight into your problem.

I can't really help you with that. I can tell you that FreeBSD 7.0
works fine on my nForce 630a chipset, though I do not have it
configured for RAID, only AHCI. Your 720a chipset is newer, perhaps
too new to be supported by FreeBSD 7.0. You might want to give 7.1 a
try. You might also check if your BIOS is up to date, in case the
problem is there.