Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:00:09 -0500
From:      Ed Budd <ebudd@grokking.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: latest security advisory and 5.1R

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:29:14 +0000
Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:24:43AM -0500, Ed Budd wrote:
>
> > Can anyone confirm whether 5.1R is affected by yesterday's
> > security advisory (FreeBSD-SA-04:04.tcp)?
> >
> > On the one hand it says that this affects "All FreeBSD releases" but
> > on the other hand only lists STABLE, 5.2, 5.2.1, 4.9 and 4.8 under
> > "corrected". Does this mean it IS affected but not yet fixed on
> > those versions?
>
> As it says: all FreeBSD releases are affected.  Fixes have been
> released for all supported versions of the OS, and detailed in the
> advisory.  It's possible that those fixes will be back-ported to older
> versions, but you can't afford to assume so.  Besides, you read the
> comments about "New Technology Releases" and "suitable for early
> adopters only" when you installed 5.1-RELEASE didn't you?  Now that
> 5.2.1-RELEASE is out, you should probably upgrade.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       26 The Paddocks
>                                                       Savill Way
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey         Marlow
> Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Bucks., SL7 1TH
> UK

Thanks for the reply.

I think what's confusing me here is that I assumed that 5.1R was
still "officially supported" and every other advisory up to this one has
been included, like last week's FreeBSD-SA-04:03.jail advisory, for
example. So am I to assume then that as of this week 5.1R is no longer
"officially supported"?

EB