Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:20:47 +0400
From:      "Andrew" <infofarmer@mail.ru>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Best LAN file archive server?

Good day to everyone!

I want to arrange a file archive on my FreeBSD box so that windows users
can access it via LAN (100Mbit). It'll be over 100Gb, mp3 and divx
mostly. Throttling is imperative, it must be designed so that clients
can listen to music and watch movies directly, without downloading them.
There are only 10 LAN users, so I expect 5-8 simultaneous connections.

I wonder, what do you think is the best solution for this - samba, http,
ftp or something else? I don't want users to install additional software
on their computers, but I'm ready to consider it if it's worth the
worries.

If ftp is the best, what is the best server? Ftpd?

Another point - how to configure the filesystem so that it suits the
purpose best? It's just my imagination - but I want it to cache
everything insanely, to be very fast in responses and to spare the hard
drive (as the latter is going to be a simple ATA drive, Maxtor, Seagate
or Hitachi, which are inclined to deadly failures under heavy loads).

Please excuse me for my stupidity, but I'm still a hardcore newbie.

Yours respectfully,
Andrew P.