Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:06:44 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Auto Mounting USB Sticks and CD's

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 01:22:55 -0500
"Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a FreeBSD 7.0 install, and I am running the Gnome Desktop (2.22)
> I was hoping that someone had a nice HOWTO or could paste their config files.
> I want my usb sticks to auto mount when I insert them like they do on PC-BSD

not sure how Gnome does it, but I would imagine it uses hald for it. u may have it installed already ( man pkg_info if u don't know ;) ).

u need to add this to your rc.conf to have it all running on startup

hald_enable="YES"
polkitd_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

> I know that if I put gnome_enable in my /etc/rc.conf then it all works
> BUT, I would prefer not to use gdm on bootup

Kevin replied to this. I would just add, if you want some other login manager to run, (xdm, wdm), you'd have to install them and enable them in rc.conf

If you follow Kevin's email by the letter, you'll have to log in to the text console and launch your X session manually.

> I also am having trouble trying to get k3b to burn CD''s without being root

man devfs.conf

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

  Albert Einstein