Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2017 09:27:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com>
Cc:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>, hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help with silent reboot of 10.3-stable system

> Is your system swapping to disk? Heavily?
>
> Might want to check the swap space on disk.
>
> I had spontaneous reboots some years ago because of bad swap space on
> disk. (Got a new disk, 'dd'-ed the old disk to the new disk, reboot on
> the new disk and everything was fine)
>
> Jan

Good possibilty too, though usually this one causes console message
to be spewed out and evetually a swap pager panic.  Though no evidence
is left behind beccase the disk couldnt be used to indicate an issue.

Your probably not around the console when this happens Bob?
It may be possible to hook up a serial console and capture
the panic if it is happening.

There are other failue modes that leave no on disk trace as well,
but well spit out a panic to a serial console.