Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:56:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adam D. Gorski" <agorski@engin.umich.edu>
To:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SB problem (was: Cat'ing /dev/audio) SOLVED!!!

Ok! The sound is working... let me give you a rundown of what happened...

I couldn't get anything to work, as you all have noticed, so I sorta gave
up. One of the guys who has an SB16 working under FreeBSD wouldn't let the
matter go that easily, and he somehow obtained an Ensoniqu es1371 card. He
told me to try it, and that if that didn't work, he didn't know what would.

I took the card, put it in my box, fired it up, it got detected... but the
sound was still screeching... even worse than before. Thinking that this
could be an IRQ problem, I decided to gut my box. I took out both NIC cards,
and disabled both IDE controllers in the BIOS. All I had left was my video
card, my sound card, and my Promise PCI controller that connect to the IBM
(FreeBSD) drive. I fired the box up, everything booted, the Ensonique was
detected... but the sound was still shitty... better, but shitty. I
basically said "screw this" and shut the box down... now, my box doesn't
shut off automatically (since I have a UPS that I want to shut down with
apcupsd in case of power failiure) so I turned it off by hand as many times
before in the past 3 days... it sorta did a reset in a way, but I powered it
down right after, not giving it a second thought.

I put all cards back in, and decided to go back to my SB PCI 64 (es1370)
since.. well, I dunno why, just did. I go to turn the PC on... nothing.
Dead. I freak out. I try agian. Nothing. I unplug it, plug it back in, still
zilch. I reset my UPS, but I just can't get the box to power up! I thought I
blew my power supply and felt like crying for a while... I unplugged it once
more and left it unplugged for 3 minutes or so.. plugged it back in, and
bam! It powered up. I went into the BIOS to turn my onboard IDE controllers
back on, but they already were... "what's this?" I thought. Turns out,
somehow my BIOS got reset... I must have caused some sort of power surge and
it wiped it. I checked all settings and noted that all were as I always had
them, except something called "PCI Bus timer" or something like that... I
had it set to 0 (don't remember ever chaning it though), now it was 32. I
figure why mess with BIOS defaults that I know nothing about, so I left it.
I booted into FreeBSD, and just for the hell of it, I tried an mp3... sweet
monkey's uncle! It worked! Not a crackle, not a squeek, nothing! Pure
crystal music!

So uhm... what solved it? I guess manually resetting the BIOS... that's
about the only thing I can think of. Maybe somehow, somwhere, over the past
few years I changed something that Linux accepted (or ignored the dumb
luser), but BSD took seriously... no clue. Either way, I just wanted to
update you all with this (short story), and thank you all for responding! I
am on my way to tweaking this box more, now that I can listen to some pretty
music while doing it :)

I knew _we_ could do it,

- Adam