Date:      05 Apr 2001 10:51:31 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        Wyatt Banks <banksw@sunyit.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using KDM to boot a visual login shell

that has been posted to ml.freebsd.questions as well.

WB> I use KDM to boot into a visual login shell, and this works fine when I
WB> log in as root, but logging in as a user I added to the machine, I don't
WB> get the K desktop Environment even though it is specified in the selection

What KDM does is replace XDM.  If you're using the same configuration
for running KDM that you do for XDM, then you will have such problems.

This is how the process works.  kdm starts up and reads
/usr/X11/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config.  This file definds what scripts get
run and when.  Pay particular attention to the
'DisplayManager*session' setting.  It should point to a program such
as Xsession, which is what does the real work.  On my system, this is:

--cut here--
#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: Xsession /main/10 1995/12/18 18:21:28 gildea $

# redirect errors to a file in user's home directory if we can
for errfile in "$HOME/.xsession-errors" "${TMPDIR-/tmp}/xses-$USER" "/tmp/xses-$USER"
do
	if ( cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null )
	then
		chmod 600 "$errfile"
		exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
		break
	fi
done

case $# in
1)
	case $1 in
	failsafe)
		exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
		;;
	kde)
		exec startkde
		;;
	esac
esac

startup=$HOME/.xsession
resources=$HOME/.Xresources

if [ -f "$startup" ]; then
	exec "$startup"
else
	if [ -f "$resources" ]; then
		xrdb -load "$resources"
	fi
	exec xsm
fi
--cut here--

Notice the line starting with "case $# in" and the case statement
below it.  You see the options there?  Those must match the options in
the kdm login window dialog box.  This script is what implements those
selections.

You need to make sure that your Xsession script does the right thing.