Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:11:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
To:        Vladimir Kushnir <vkushnir@Alfacom.net>
Cc:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Active support of Russian language

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Vladimir Kushnir wrote:

> Hello,
> First a couple of questions:
> What newsreader/irc are you using? If they run in xterm, did you check
> that _it_ runs with an appropriate font? (Sorry for this last, but
> sometimes stupid mistakes happen :-)
> And a suggestion. Have you tried wmcyrx instead of Xkb or Xrus? The
> problem with Xkb is that not all of the applications are "well
> behaved". Besides, wmcyrx has the useful feature of supporting
> several different Cyrillic encodings (actually, I type with a slightly
> patched version in koi8-r/cp1251/alt Russian and in cp866 Ukrainean).
 hallo, Vladimir
 xterm can be easily counted to well-behaving applications and it accepts
 thing called ICUKEN in some circles very well.Same holds surely for
 all console-applications(e.g. tirc,bitch,tin(with it have not  made
 any experiments,though)Point is I do belong to this pampered young
 brat that is accustomed to fancy GUI things and i will give up
 very reluctantly.To make the long story short: For irc I use xchat
and for USENET I use Netscape(Neither of them behave well what
russification regards) As to values of global variables and methods
of l10n used by me  in common they ARE exactly as described by Andrey
Chernov.
ICUKEN also does not suit to my needs very well. I grown up in Lithuania
and have never seen such a thing as standard Russian keyboard(I do not
make any jokes).I will now try wmcyrx and see of what good is it .
Thank you for you preparadness to help .So the whole thing boils down to 3
questions:
1)How to localize xhcat ?
2)How to loclaize Netscpae ?
3)How to make yawerty standard ?
In case you should have any additional questions aimed to clear situation
for you I will be glad to answer surely