Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:43:02 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Outdated rdist in FreeBSD Base

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 11:08:03PM -0500, C. Stephen Gunn wrote:
> I was discussing the out-of-date rdist in FreeBSD (there is an up
> to date version in ports) on #BSDCode tonight.  Last fall the
> license changed on rdist v6, and it's made available under an Open
> Source license now.
>
> I send-pr'd a tarball that would add the new version to /usr/src/contrib,
> but it was apparently never committed.
>
> Considering most people have moved towards rsync or other alternatives,
> the consensus on IRC was to remove the out-of-date rdist from the
> base system, and to allow rdist users to install rdist6 from the
> ports collection if needed.
>
> Continuing to ship an out-of-date version in the base isn't desirable.

Sounds good to me, but I have one concern.

v6 works fundamentally differently to and is incompatible with the old
rdist, if ours is the same as the old rdist that was in BSD/OS. It is
quite unfortunate that two programs using different protocols have been
given the same name.

Here's what could happen to us. Recently I've had to make repairs where
old BSD systems were unexpectedly unable to rdist with Linux systems
which use rdist v6. The cost of this incompatibility was great. The
rdist6 docs said that Linux's rdist could be made to talk to old rdist
if it was set up that way and an extra executable was added to the
system, but that extra executable was not provided with Linux nor with
rdist and despite much searching it was nowhere to be found (NIH?).

The "Compatibility" section of the rdist6 docs, also readable at
http://www.MagniComp.com/rdist/ explains the issues rather
optimistically. From my reading of this and your post, when we remove
the old rdist from FreeBSD we will no longer have any means to honour
pre-existing cron jobs in a heterogeneous environment. Since both
programs are called rdist it would be easy be taken by surprise by the
real nature of this change, and to have one's network fall over as a
consequence. On the other hand we need v6 in order to be compatible
with some other systems.

If I'm on the right track here, it would be great if someone could
check that newer FreeBSD systems will be able to rdist both ways in a
heterogeneous environment, i.e., retain the old rdist executable
(either left in the base system or included as part of the v6 port,
with a suitable path/filename) and check that with the new rdist
installed it is indeed still possible to rdist both ways as the URL
above explains. Then we would have made an all round improvement by
making this change.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-