Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:17:03 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgdb -Ff and autoconf question...how do I respond?

Dino Vliet wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD folks,
>
> I want to upgrade my ports but as I'm following the
> /usr/ports/UPDATING file, it advised me to run the
> command pkgdb -Ff.
>
> When I do I get this:
>
> pkgdb -Ff
> --->  Checking the package registry database
> Duplicated origin: devel/autoconf261 - autoconf-2.53_4
> autoconf-2.61_2
> Unregister any of them? [no]
>
> I don't know how to respond actually. The questioned
> packages are installed:
>
> pkg_info | grep autoconf
> autoconf-2.13.000227_6 Automatically configure source
> code on many Un*x platforms
> autoconf-2.53_4     Automatically configure source
> code on many Un*x platforms
> autoconf-2.61_2     Automatically configure source
> code on many Un*x platforms
> autoconf-wrapper-20070404 Wrapper script for GNU
> autoconf
>
> What is wisdom here? Which one of them can I
> unregister?

Hi, Dino:

Answer "yes" to the question shown above.  You
will then be asked whether you would like to
"unregister autoconf-2.53_4, leaving the
installed files intact".  If, at this point,
the system looks like it has the concept, go
ahead and allow it to change the package database.

After doing this for what seems like forever (well,
maybe, maybe not), you should have a pkgdb that
portupgrade is comfortable with.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
--
Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
they have to take you in.