Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:53:05 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: frebsd jails advice

On 10/12/2018 17:28, doug@safeport.com wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2018, Ken M wrote:
>
>> Depending on the ssh encryption format ssh -X can actually be slower
>> than VNC.
>>
>> I offer a third suggestion, I find XRDP to be very handy combined with
>> remmina.
>>
>> Ken

>>> I disagree: it's too much trouble, it's slow, it's memory consuming.
>>>
>>> "ssh -X"ing into the jail works much better.
>>>
>>> Just my 2c.
>>>

> I agree with the ssh-ing. I have been doing this since 5.2 on bandwidths
> ranging from dial-up modem to my current 50mbps. Even on the modems
> response was always better than I can type. Detail on encryption that do
> not work would be most helpful. I have akways used RSA.

Assuming you're using fairly recent FreeBSD for both ends of the SSH
connection, then you can use RSA, ECDHA or ED_25519 type keys for
authentication.  Which of these you use doesn't make much difference to
overall performance as the PKI part is only used at login time for
authentication and to securely exchange a session key -- that's
symmetric encryption using a cipher like chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com
or aes256-gcm@openssh.com.  These symmetric-key ciphers handle all of
the actual traffic.  They're also significantly faster than the
asymmetric encryption.

In fact, anything reputable offering encrypted network traffic nowadays
will be using pretty much the same set of ciphers as SSH.  So overall
performance differences will probably come down to the volume and nature
of the data being sent to-and-fro, and the characteristics of the
networks you're traversing.

'ssh -X' basically sends a stream of X events -- mouse movements, button
clicks, key presses, in one direction, window redraws, etc. in the
other; whereas VNC sends a raster image of the screen, usually with
various traffic compression applied, including such techniques as
sending only the deltas between successive frames.

Which one turns out faster depends entirely on the application you're
running and how you're interacting with it.  'ssh -X' is usually "fast
enough" if client and server are on fairly nearby networks with a low
latency, reasonably high bandwidth connection between them -- so both on
the same LAN.  It suffers if your client app is way away in darkest
Elbonia at the other end of a piece of wet string, and VNC can indeed
perform better there.  On a good network though, you'll likely not
notice much difference whatever way you work it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew