Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:06:03 -0700
From:      lewwid <lewwid@telusplanet.net>
To:        FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freebsd 4.7.2 DHCP Spamming

Has anyone heard of an issue where a freebsd box can rack up multiple ips over the course
of ~2 days?  There should only be 1 ip address allocated to my box.

For some reason on Dec 2nd, Dec 30th, and Jan 14th my box decided to keep requesting IPs, thus
racking up ~100 before they shut me off each time.  Why would they keep permitting ip requests
above the 2 allowed ips?

I'm running a GENERIC kernel, all source updated and installed from cvsup3.freebsd.org.  Only ssh
listening.

They say that, either I'm doing it on purpose, I'm exploited, or there's a problem with the dhclient.

I was monitoring the box using tcpdump + dhcpdump to watch the requests.  Unfortunately I rebooted after about
5 days (Jan 7th ish).  I thought the problem was resolved.  I asked them for logs but they can't provide any.

Could they changed something near the end of November, or the start of December as this problem has
not happened *ever* in 6 years before this.

*** Somehow I'm supposed to solve this problem without logs.  Hopefully someone has run into this
problem in the past and knows a solution.  It's to never happen again or
they will cancel my account.

The only thing I could related to this is an acknowledgement from Vancouver's Shaw guys
that there is a problem.

http://www.dslreports.com/comment/1704/19357

Dropping DHCP leases
Actually about the dropping DHCP leases, which some of our customers are seeing. We're still in the process of looking over the reason for their occurence. For the majority of our customers, this never seems to be a problem but for a certain select
minority it seems that the lease can get dropped for various reasons. The most prominent reason we could come up with was that it was some sort of software or hardware configuration issue with the customers computer, (either firewall blocking dhcp
requests/acknowledgements or network cards that are not acting properly when handling the dhcp packets). We're still in the process of investigating the problem and a possible fix, but we do need help. Anyone running Linux, we could really use logs on
the authentication process that a computer goes through when getting the dhcp lease. If anyone fits this category, send some mail to

van.help@shaw.ca

with the logs, and ask for them to be forwarded to the tier2.5 team for perusal, hopefully with this info, we can come to a solution for your problem.

Thanks for your help guys!