Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:07:02 +1000
From:      Luke Mitchell <luke@neither.apana.org.au>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   What are the steps to start a binary at startup?

Hi
Hopefully someone can help me with this, it's getting a bit frustrating.

I've recently subscribed to a cable modem service (Telstra Bigpond Advance
in au). I've set up a box as a router (using FreeBSD 3.3, because that's the
most current version of the cdroms I've got) and that all seems to work
fine.

The complication comes with the need to run and authentication client, to
enable and hold open the connection. OK, so a cool guy as hacked a program
which does this (bpalogin). It was written for linux environment, but
compiles fine and runs happily from the command line.

So what's the problem?

I can't get bpalogin to stay running if it's launched by rc ( ie.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d). The client starts but then exits without any errors.

The startup script is simply;
#!/bin/sh
[ -x /usr/sbin/bpalogin ] && /usr/sbin/bpalogin -c /etc/bpalogin.conf &&
echo -n ' bpalogin'

I've even tried running it in the foreground during startup to see if it
would exit, but it doesn't. Also tried running it with between "nohup" and
"&" with its 'remain in foreground' switch set.

It almost seems like it's being killed by FreeBSD in some sort of process
cleanup. Is this possible? or likely? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help
Luke Mitchell