Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:11:06 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What are some ways to move one system to new hardware?

I've got some FreeBSD 4.x  and some Linux systems running.  We've received
new computers and I've been asked to move the existing systems to the new
hardware.  Some of these are just file servers, others directory servers,
and some just being used for mail.  I've been backing them up using Amanda
2.4.2 and have been able to restore files here and there.  It's been
suggested that I could restore an entire system to the new hardware but I'm
unsure how to begin.

Can anybody suggest some ways of moving the existing systems to the new
hardware?  I've thought about just copying the contents of the drives, but
the less the downtime the better.

Thanks,

Oscar