Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:02:03 +0200
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        matteotti <carloma@bluewin.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting floppies and cd's

--qlTNgmc+xy1dBmNv

Hey there,

As far as I know there isn't something like this in FreeBSD.  However,
please find attached a short c program written by Omachonu Ogali that
allows normal users to mount the cdrom (you can obviously modify it to
mount the floppy as well).  To install it, simply do the following:  (as
root)

cc -o sucd sucd.c
chmod 4555 sucd
mv sucd /usr/local/bin

What you're doing there is setting the binary as setuid which allows
people to execute it as root, and allows them to mount/unmount the CD.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Marc

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 11:40:33AM +0100, matteotti wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I am trying to set up /etc/fstab such that it be possible to mount
> floppies and cdroms as normal user (not root).
>
> I tried the same option flags as I have under Linux. i.e.
> /dev/fd0      /floppy     msdos    user,noauto,rw (some more) 0    0
>                                                  ^^^^^
>
> When I try to mount a floppy as normal user there is the followin error
> message
>
> mount -o: user option not supported :-(
> (the same for cdrom)
>
> Has anybody solved the 'problem' or an idea to solve it ?
>
> Thanks in advance:
> Carlo.
>
> OS: FreeBSD3.2

--qlTNgmc+xy1dBmNv

/*
 * suCD 0.1
 * --------
 * Allows regular (non-root) users to mount the cdrom
 * - Omachonu Ogali <oogali@tribune.intranova.net>
 */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
        printf("suCD 0.1\n");
        printf("oogali@tribune.intranova.net\n\n");

        if (getuid() != 0) {
                if (seteuid(0) != 0) {
                        perror("seteuid()");
                        return -1;
                }
        }

        if (argc < 2) {
                system("/sbin/mount /cdrom");
        } else {
                if (strcmp(argv[1], "mount") == 0) {
                        system("/sbin/mount /cdrom");
                } else if (strcmp(argv[1], "unmount") == 0) {
                        system("/sbin/umount /cdrom");
                } else {
                        printf("%s [action]\n");
                        printf("[action] may be either 'mount' or 'unmount'.\n");
                        return -1;
                }
        }

        return 0;