Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 01:25:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Jimbo Bahooli <moke@fools.ecpnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advansys isa scsi driver

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Jimbo Bahooli wrote:

> I have an advansys scsi card that is supported by reading it in the
> comment of the sys/i386/isa/adv_isa.c file. Yet I find no clues on how to
> enable it in the kernel.  I have looked through LINT, and files.i386 both
> with no help. Anyone know?

well...  I'm not an expert at it... but you need to add i386/isa/adv_isa.c
and i386/scsi/advansys.c to files.i386...  something like this:
i386/isa/adv_isa.c	optional	xxx	device-driver

replace xxx with what you feel like calling the device...  then add a line
like:

device	xxx0	at isa? port 0xXXX bio irq X vector adv_isa_intr

now for the real information needed:
Advanced Systems Inc. SCSI Controller driver and ISA/VL front end.

I have only tested the ABP5140 card and only with a single CDROM drive
but it seems to work fine.  This driver relies on features found only in
the SCSI branch so will not work in -current until those changes
are brought in.  It also doesn't have any error handling code *yet*.
The goal is to use this driver as the development platform for the new
generic SCSI layer error recovery/handling code.

PCI and EISA front ends will show up as soon as I get my hands on
the cards.  There are also a few issues in the driver that I need
to clear up with AdvanSys before I can suggest sticking one of
these cards in your server. 8-)

Thanks to AdvanSys for releasing this code under a suitable copyright.

Obtained from:  Ported from the Linux driver writen by
                bobf@advansys.com (Bob Frey).

this is a comment that Justin Gibbs made when he commited the driver...

hope this helps...  ttyl...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)