Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:56:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Clang

"Thomas Mueller" wrote:

> There actually is/was a closed-source BSD (BSDI), and there is Mac OS X, with BSD under the covers.

BSDi sold source-code licenses.  I was an early-adopter, and I _have_ one.

The vast majority of the code was taken directly from BSD 4.4 Lite, and
the source-code carried just the UCB copyriht and licensinG,  The 'missing
pieces' necessary to make an 'operational' O/S were copyright BSDi, most
had fairly liberal license terms.  There were some _vendor_supplied drivers
that were binary-only, and had more rstrictive licensing.`