Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:52:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Peter Rudolph <peter.rudolph@dortmund.netsurf.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   compiling ThotEditor ...?

Hi,

was anybody ever successful in compiling the Thot Editor under FreeBSD 2.2.5
(Has anybody ever tried that at all?) I installed gmake/lesstiff but when I
run 'configure' it comes to:

[lotsa 'checking for ...' messages]
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
sed: 96: conftest.subs: filename expected
creating <some_dir>/Makefile
[above message repeated a couple of times]

The created Makefiles are all empty!. I understand that there might be a
problem with sed but the line in the config.status file which calls sed is
too cryptic for me to decipher (I don't know anything about sed :-( ):

# Protect against being on the right side of a sed subst in config.status.
 s/@@/%@/; s/@@/@%/; s/@g$/%g/' > conftest.subs <<\CEOF

Yes, I know that ThotEditor is available as a package for 2.2.5 - I was even
able to install and run it. But when I tried to create a document it said
something about: 'Lettre.STR not found' and did nothing. I read something
about compiling such *.STR files but where is the 'compiler' for that?

Thanks a lot in advance for any info!

Peter.