Date:      Wed, 17 May 2006 13:13:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        gcorcoran@rcn.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop dead, suggestions?

> Erich Dollansky wrote:
>
> > What are the tricks I missed?
>

> Why, WHY, oh *WHY*, do people change a post to the 'freebsd-foo' mailing list
> into _double_ posts to both 'freebsd-foo@freebsd' and 'foo@freebsd', which
> are the same thing ???  Warner's original post did not post to both names,
> so somebody who replied must've started the replication.  This happens so
> often it is annoying, and I finally decided to complain so that maybe people
> will stop this practice.  (and it doesn't help when the 'old-timers' on these
> lists, who should know better, blindly reply-all and keep up the replicated
> messages... ;-) )

there are some mail readers that are stupid that don't provide a nice
clicky button to turn off their braindamanged behavior.  They grab the
X-Mail-List header, and use that in coming up with their reply.  Once
the messages are inserted into the list, others reply and compound the
problem.  I think Mutt was mentioned as being the problem.

It is a well known problem, but the technical solution is kinda hard.
Especially since the authors of the mail software are being difficult
and not providing an override for this brain-damanged and wrong
behavior.

Warner