Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:07:05 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        rob spellberg <emailrob@emailrob.com>
Subject:   was this really necessary? [ was Re: The FreeBSD Jive Copyright ]

Without getting into debates about hate speech v/s the First
Amendment (personally I saw nothing offensive about the posts, though
I'm no GPL basher), I think Rob made a valid point in the last line
of his first mail:

> i could be wrong, but i don't think this enhances your CV.

Most likely nobody's going to prosecute you for this particular
mailing list posting, but these days employers do frequently google
prospective employees.  Worse, people google potential dates, friends
google friends, etc. It's unlikely you'll come across a posting like
the one that sparked this thread if you search for "copyright"
"licensing" etc as Rob fears (Google's page-rank is pretty good), but
it's pretty likely you'll come across it if you search for "Stacy
Olivas".

I don't mean Stacy's act of posting was wrong -- some people may be
comfortable with making such posts and having them quoted back at them
later, and some may not be comfortable with that, it's entirely up to
the individual poster (up to a point, obviously hate speech isn't
allowed on lists like this).

But, in general and without reference to Stacy, people who may worry
about others scanning their "online record" do need to watch what they
write here...

- Rahul