Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 03:26:57 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        andy@tridentgroup.co.uk, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Millennium compliance

>I have a couple of questions regarding Millennium compliance:
>
>Firstly, does FreeBSD interrogate the RTC chip directly for the
>time/date information or the system BIOS instead? This is important

It reads the RTC, ignores the century register, and converts year 00 to
2000.  Except when configured with the non-default option USE_RTC_CENTURY,
it believes the century register and converts (year 00, century 19)
to year 1900.

>The second question I have is what will happen to FreeBSD if the
>computer BIOS is not millennium compliant when the century changes?

FreeBSD doesn't change the century register unless it is configured
with option USE_RTC_CENTURY, so the century register won't change
while FreeBSD is running unless the hardware changes it.

Bruce