Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:08:14 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 upcoming release/timetabling/mirroring

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:13:06 -0400 (EDT)

> <<On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:47:32 -0700, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org> said:
>
> > No, I didn't miss it.  You and Jason are simply asking for information
> > I don't have to give you and you're not going to get.
>
> You are trying to tell me you are incapable of running `du -s | mail
> freebsd-hubs' before copying the files onto ftp-master?!
>
> You have no place casting aspersions on other people's competence,
> then.

I'm not casting aspersions on other people's competence and whatever
it is that's causing you to be a grouchy old sod, I wish you'd take
care of it by calling an escort service or something.  What I SAID was
that if you weren't up to doing the administration of a mirror, you
should find someone else to do it or pull the mirror since I do
understand that some mirror maintainers aren't capable of doing that
and juggling their day jobs too.

I'm perfectly able to run a du -s on ftp-master once all the various
pieces have rendezvoused there, but that's not the kind of "advance
notice" it appeared that you and others have been asking for or I'd
have said "sure, fine" right from the outset.

> > Add to this the fact that 4.4-RELEASE will be the first one
> > to incorporate 5 ISO images by default
>
> ...which we, and I suspect most mirrors, absolutely WILL NOT carry.

I don't care what the tier-n mirrors carry, where n is a positive
integer greater than or equal to 2, but part of the responsibility of
being a Tier-1 mirror, as clearly stated at the outset of ftp-master's
entering service, is carrying a FULL and COMPLETE copy and I fully
expect the tier-1 mirrors to continue doing so or be removed from the
access list for Tier 1 mirrors.  It's not like all of this (5 ISOs,
Tier-1 rules) hasn't been discussed with more than adequate notice up
to now so I honestly don't know what's got your butt-fur all knotted
up at this late stage of the game.  Here's a comb, have at it and get
out of my mailbox now please.

- Jordan