Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 03:44:15 +0800
From:      Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim <ihsan_junaidi@yahoo.com.sg>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   apache2 "directory index forbidden by rule"

Hello all,

I have an apache manual directory located in /usr/local/share/doc/apache2=
=20
which I'm trying to link from my local website. I symlink the folder to a=
=20
local folder in my home directory and all I'm getting is "directory index=
=20
forbidden by rule" when I looked inside the log file. The problem it seem=
s to=20
be on the extra filename tacked on the htmls file ie: index.html.en,=20
index.html.ja and all. I tried plain old index.html and all are fine.

I tried adding the line AddOutputFilter Includes html on the directory wh=
ere=20
the symlink and the actual folder but still no go. It only happens in vir=
tual=20
host context, if I put the <Directory> statement in global context, it wo=
rk.=20
The only caveat is that I have to put an alias; or else there' no way I'm=
=20
able to reference the folder.

Here's the directives that I put in the VHost context;

<Directory "/home/ihsan/www/data/freebsd/docs">
    =09Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
=09AddOutputFilter Includes html
    =09AllowOverride None
    =09Order allow,deny
    =09Allow from all
 </Directory>

<Directory "/usr/local/share/doc/apache2">
    =09Options Indexes MultiViews
=09AddOutputFilter Includes html
    =09AllowOverride None
    =09Order allow,deny
    =09Allow from all
</Directory>

I don't want to refer the files in global aliasing/directory context. I o=
nly=20
want to refer them from my local directory. I have a bunch of html docs=20
located in /usr/local/share/docs which I symlinked just fine and apache i=
s=20
the only misbehaving kid on the block.

Hope someone can help.