Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:18:01 -0800
From:      Gianluca <gianluca@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to shut down this list?

Hello,
as a freebsd newbie myself, I'm a little ambivalent about the list and
the overall attitude towards really FAQ-type questions. no matter how
many helpful (and knowledgeable) people might monitor this list and
answer every question, RTFM (not in such a rude way) is a necessary
answer in the OSS world: if you're installing freebsd and get
intimidated by the tcsh prompt, there's something intrinsically wrong
that no number of helpful answers will correct. I did choose freebsd
over the other free *nixes for my impression of better documentation
and community support, but especially because there's already an
awesome piece of documentation like the handbook, questions that are
really too basic are just adding to the background noise.

what I'd really like/need as a newbie are more tutorials in the style
of samba's how-to, i.e. walkthroughs for selected scenarios that are
representative of real-world use of the OS. stuff like what the
freebsddiary provides, but much more and more oriented to newbies/home
users that are probably coming from windows. I'm thinking for example
of common things like setting up a home firewall, or a simple file
server (maybe with RAID which is what I'm struggling w/ right now)
with recommendations all the way from the hardware ("if you're buying
new, X is more supported than Y" is something I'd really like to see
explicitly more often) to installation, configuration and maintenance.

having said that I wouldn't want to see newbies- go though :)

g.