Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:23:05 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>
To:        Jesse McConnell <jesse@gallup.com>, java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java ports

Hey Jesse,

> I finally submitted my jboss port a couple of days ago, after working
> out a local issue with the reverse-dns thing..again.  Sheesh, hopefully
> I got it all working now. :)

I took responsibility for the PR just a minute ago :)

> Like the way the bsd.java.mk is shaping up, I am looking forward to how
> it will evolve!

I'm glad you like it. Have you tested it yet ?

> One thought, now that we are getting closer to having that in place..do
> we want to address how we should go about setting up ports for the
> helper class jars and deal with versioning of those guys?  And how we
> can setup a mkclasspath-config command for automagically setting
> classpaths up to those helper classes..  where to install, etc.

Yeah we should look into that. Perhaps we can start a public discussion now?
Perhaps start with the exact goals and then list alternative solutions, etc ?

> I see us growing the helper class ports pretty quickly with stuff like
> jgraph, cvsclient from netbeans, xml parsers, and all that jazz...

Yeah, I want to have jdom, log4j, xalan, xerces, crimson, poolman, junit,
jta, javamail, jaf and doccheck all in there. Some already are, but it's a
mess :-\ It should all be consistent with respect to the approach for the
porting, the location of the Javadoc API docs, the location of the source
files, the location of the JARs, the way the port is built, etc.

I'm thinking about something like a library.xml file in ${FILESDIR} (or
alternatively just some definitions in the Makefile) where a port specifies
what it needs in terms of dependencies, where the source lives, etc. Then we
can use XSLT to convert that to an Ant build file and then build the port
using that build file. Dunno, still pondering.

> P.S. Great job Ernst!

Thanks. Hope you like it *and* test it too :)

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ