Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:59:33 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backup

Hi!

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 9:32 am, Richard Beyer wrote:
> > We're currently doing a back up of a FreeBSD 4.9 (2) server by
> > plugging a USB external drive in and then doing
> > cp /dev/ad0 /dev/da0
> >
> > This takes about 30 hours, (USB 1).

To which anubis answered:

> Why not use removeable drive trays with straight pata drives?

Few months ago I did some research on this and found that not every
removable IDE drive bay supports hot-swapping - the ones that do are
somewhat more expensive. I myself ended up using external FireWire
drives, which have worked out quite well (and the speed is much better
than USB with FreeBSD 4.9):

# camcontrol devlist
<Maxtor 5000DV  v1.00.00 0000>     at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (da1,pass1)
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* If you leave me, can i come too?