Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:23:26 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "David S. Jackson" <dsj@sylvester.dsj.net>, Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Track Indexes for CDs

<edwin@mavetju.org> wrote:
> > The device doesn't, it's your software which fetches the information
> > from the CDDB (I think http://www.cddb.org is a good place to start.
> > Replace .org with .net and .com if it doesn't give you info)
>
> So is there no such thing as an ID3 tag for a wav file that gets
> burned onto a CD-R audio disk?  Do tags like ID3 only exist for
> MP3s?

Well, have you ever seen such information pop up from a commercial audio CD?
I think not, unless you were connected to the net and it was fetching the
information from the net.  There *is* a code on CDs that uniquely identifies
the CD, but it's gibberish, useful only as an index for one of these internet
databases.  (What it was originally added for I have no clue since Sony &
Philips surely didn't anticipate the WWW in 1980 or so when they designed the
CD, but it's nice that it's there anyway.)

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                 http://www.programming-freedom.org