Date:      28 Feb 1998 10:09:31 -0600
From:      Dave Marquardt <marquard@zilker.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unexplainable? delay when ftping

Font <font@mcs.net> writes:
> When ftp'ing from home into work over ppp, I'll notice the modem lights
> inactive for several moments during file transfer.  This makes the
> transfers much less efficient.  The modem doesn't seem to be retraining,
> because if I do something else like ping the ftp server, the response
> comes back right away, between the file transfer pauses.

Perhaps your connection dropped a packet, and you're waiting for TCP's
retransmission timeout and retransmission.  You might try running
`netstat -s -p tcp' before you start the FTP, then after the pause and
the modem lights start flashing again, and see if the retransmit
timeouts statistic went up.

-Dave