Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 16:32:36 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
Cc:        Raymond Law <rlaw@vt.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS server

> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:41:10 +1100
> From: Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
> Sender: nicks@giroc.albury.net.au
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Thus spake Raymond Law (rlaw@vt.edu):
>
> > If I don't run named on my box but instead use a DNS server on another box.
> >  Where should I put this address in?
>
> In /etc/resolv.conf. Something like this:
>
> domain my.domain.edu
> nameserver 1.2.3.4
> nameserver 2.3.4.5

Minor nit...domain is deprecated although it will probably continue to
work forever.

The doc strongly suggests using the search keyword in its place. If
there is a single domain specified, it works the same a domain, but it
allows the listing of multiple domain so that it will try the name
specified in each of the domains listed in the search directive.

search mydomain.edu otherdomain.com specialdomain.com
nameserver 192.192.192.5
nameserver 24.1.0.64

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)