Date:      Thu, 22 May 2003 22:56:07 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Bingrui Foo <foob@purdue.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Savemail panic

On 2003-05-22 11:43, Bingrui Foo <foob@purdue.edu> wrote:
> I just installed FreeBSD and even reinstalled it, but keep getting this
> error message about once a day:
>
> May 22 03:01:03 sendmail[1813]: h4M8133q001813: Losing ./qfh3M8133q001813: savemail panic
> May 22 03:01:03 sendmail[1813]: h4M8133q001813: SYSERR(root): savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere
> .... (message x 2)

This means that sendmail tried to deliver a message to user `root', but
couldn't.  It then tried to bounce the message (i.e. deliver it to
postmaster) and found out that it couldn't bounce it either.  That's
bad.  If you want to keep sendmail, you should make sure that `root' can
accept mail.  The periodic system checks of FreeBSD will try to mail
root at least twice a day.

> Wonder what is the problem. I have tried to disable sendmail using
> rc.conf but it doesn't do anything.

It's not a very good idea to disable it altogether, without installing
an alternate mail transfer agent.  If you don't want these periodic mail
reports and you don't want to install any sort of mail server software
on your machine, check out /etc/crontab and comment the lines that fire
up the periodic scripts.

- Giorgos