Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:33:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Michael Jaskowiak <skovian@interpath.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound blaster

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Michael Jaskowiak wrote:

> Hello.  It's Michael Jaskowiak again.  I followed the link and
> downloaded the patch for PNP compatibility.  That seemed to work.  Now
> when the kernel configuration is scrolling past, it finds the sound card
> at the proper address.  Thank you so much for your help.

No problem.

> I wish that this could just be a thank you letter but I need to know how
> to test it.  I have tried to compile several things that might play a
> WAV file but I don't know how to work them very well.  Is there a simple
> way to see if the card will play a WAV?

WAVs are actually more difficult than they look.  You can check if the
setup is correct by:

1.  Running `cat /dev/sndstat' and checking that the setup is right.
2.  Running `cat /bin/mount > /dev/audio' and seeing if you hear noise
from the soundcard.

If those are OK you are set to go.

> Also, when I used /dev/MAKEDEV
> snd0, all I got in the /dev directory was 'sndstat'.  Is this a problem
> (no snd0 device)?  Once again, thank you for your marvelous help.  You
> are the Gods of the digital realm.

snd0 is a controller, not a device.  You'll have devices like audio, dsp,
and so forth.