Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 00:10:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, tapesupport@seagate.com
Subject:   Re: disabling compression on Seagate DAT (Arhive Python) drive

=Mikhail Teterin writes:
=> The manual says it is possible to do by a MODE SELECT command from
=> the host computer, but provides no specifics. Can someone, please,
=> share the knowledge? Ideally, I need an argument for FreeBSD-2.2.6's
=> scsi(8) command.

=First, I'd suggest an upgrade to 3.1-stable is in order.

Impossible :(

=... there is a "DC-Passthru" jumper and/or DIP switch on the Seagate
=drive which selects the compression state at power up. Under older
=FreeBSD's this means you don't have a means to enable compression.

It is possible to do this from host -- the "manual" says it is,
but refers you to ANOTHER manual, which is a Seagate part such-and-such.
Remarkably STUPID!

Now, there is also a "Seagate Unix Compatability Guide", also
written "for dummies", but I managed to get from it, that this
tapes use mode page 0xf, rather then 0x10 for compression settings.
My attempts to use
	scsi -f /dev/st0ctl.0 -m 0xf -P 3 -e

failed even after I duplicated the 0x10 entry in /usr/share/misc/scsi_modes
as 0x0f entry. It does not bring up an editor, contrary to what
man-page says...

So, if there is another magic sequence, which I can just put into
the crontab right before Amanda's run, so as to be sure, I'd very
much appreciate it.

Thanks!

	-mi