Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:37:38 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?R8OhYm9yIEvDtnZlc2TDoW4=?= <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        G??bor K??vesd??n <gabor@FreeBSD.org>,  Sergey Matveychuk <sem@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org,  erwin@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION: is the way DESTDIR was introduced completely wrong?

Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> * G??bor K??vesd??n (gabor@FreeBSD.org) wrote:
>
>>> I agree with every your word.
>>>
>> I was to implement it in this way, but as I said this would require us
>> to change all of the *_DEPENDS lines. Erwin told me that this can't be
>> happen, so I was pushed to go the another way. Erwin is in portmgr, and
>> portmgr's word make sense in these questions...
>>
> Why change _DEPENDS lines in ports while we can prepend DESTDIR where
> needed in bsd.port.mk? I can make the patches if needed
Maybe with a hackery you can. I haven't thought of such special thing.
Can you show how you mean?

>>> This is exactly I proposed. But I've not been heard.
>>>
>> You have been, but this will happen later, after an -exp run as Erwin
>> said. And in the opposite form. Ports that don't respect DESTDIR will be
>> marked.
>>
> Could you point me to any information regarding this -exp?
> Honestly I don't get how the software can be proven working without
> human inspection.
> Ok, there can be errors on stderr. But what about GUI software? There
> will be messageboxes, how to detect these? Or there will be no
> complaints at all, software just won't work properly (i.e. a game will
> run with no textures/no sound etc.).
> We may search for paths in all files installed by port (simple
> grep(1) on text files, strings(1)|grep on binaries) to detect wrong
> paths - that's far more reliable - is that what's done?

An -exp run is a full run on the package building cluster that is
maintained by portmgr@. You might contact them on this address. I don't
know what I can do now myself, I just did what I've been told to do:
wrote an implementation where only small modifications are necessary to
make ports respect DESTDIR, but many people seem to be unsatisfied and
disappointed with this solution.

--
Cheers,

Gabor