Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:55:07 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Illogical usage of swap

Perhaps this resonates with someone, I sure hope so.

We bought and deployed a new server recently. Owing to various
combinations of nics/raid controllers lack of support, instead of
installing 5.3 we installed 4.11.

The motherboard is a tyan tiger i7320s5350, dual Xeon 3.0GHz w/1MB cache
and an moderately impressive 4GB of RAM. Hyperthreading *is* enabled,
here's a sysctl hw snapshot:
gonzo# sysctl -a |grep hw
hw.machine: i386
hw.model: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz
hw.ncpu: 4
#other stuff that may be meaningful to someone:
hw.physmem: 3618050048
hw.usermem: 3261022208
hw.pagesize: 4096
hw.floatingpoint: 1
hw.machine_arch: i386
hw.aac.iosize_max: 65536
hw.an.an_dump: off
#and so on.....

Hard to believe, but this beast is swapping. Here's a typical top
snapshot:

load averages:  0.75,  0.36,  0.23
up 14+12:39:04  12:40:02
128 processes: 1 running, 125 sleeping, 2 zombie
CPU states:
7.5% user,  0.0% nice,  1.3% system,  0.0% interrupt, 91.2% idle
Mem:
479M Active, 2470M Inact, 337M Wired, 101M Cache, 199M Buf, 5468K Free
Swap: 8192M Total, 116K Used, 8192M Free

The box is replacing a machine with dual AMD athlon MP CPU's and 1GB of
RAM. The old box never swapped once, though then - as now - free memory
dipped down into numbers we weren't comfortable with occasionally. The
old box *was* quite heavily loaded at times so this wasn't so
surprising. The new "superbox" however doesn't even have some stuff
running on it that the old one had! So under no circumstances could the
workload on the new box be described as heavy.

Can anyone suggest *anything* that might cause this uttely illogical
situation to exist? We're frankly baffled.

Regards & TIA,
-Colin
--
Colin J. Raven