Date:      02 Jul 2003 12:26:17 -0400
From:      Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   gedit 2.3.3 crashes on 4.8-STABLE and 5.1-RELEASE

I removed gedit 2.3.2 and gedit-plugins, then installed gedit 2.3.3 from
Marcus's CVS repo (after a slight, and approved, modification to make it
compile without GNOME 2.3.3 libs).

Anyhow, I can consistently make gedit segfault on exiting if the spell
checker plugin is enabled.

To reproduce:
Enable the spell checker plugin
Close gedit (it won't crash if the plugin was previously disabled)
Start gedit
Close gedit (it will crash here)

I have spoken with Paolo Maggi (gedit lead developer), and he's unable
to reproduce this error on his test boxes. We're pretty sure it's
specific to the spell checker plugin or the interface with aspell, and
its NOT anything to do with gcc version (since I can crash it on both
4.8 and 5.1). All signs point to a problem specific to the FreeBSD port.
I have a backtrace if anyone is interested.

Can anyone else verify this bug? I am collecting information this
afternoon, and will file a full BugZilla report later on this evening.
Please try this out (if you use gedit) and see if you can reproduce it,
or uncover more details/clues I haven't thought of.

Also, I started getting this message as of 2.3.3, when I hit the Open
button:
 ** (gedit:34357): CRITICAL **: file gedit-encodings.c: line 382
(gedit_encoding_get_charset): assertion `enc != NULL' failed

I don't know if this is related or not.

Thanks,
--
Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>

P.S. The modifications I made were as follows:
rm work/gedit-2.3.3/gedit/GNOME_Gedit-*.[ch]

Comment out line 395 of gedit2.c: gnome_authentication_manager_init ();

Again, both of these modifications were approved by Marcus and Paolo.