Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:08:16 +0200
From:      Erik Udo <erik.u@dnainternet.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what soundcard should i buy?

Erik Udo wrote:
> Andy Pintar wrote:
>
>> Looks to me like the soundblaster audigy ls card does work:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2003-November/003970.html
>>

>> As for something that works 100%, I found the SoundBlaster Live work well
>> - anything with the EMU10K1 chipset should work.  For true, 100%
>> compatibility, you'll have to use either windows (sadly), or do some
>> hacking of your own, in most cases.  I joined this list to glean some
>> knowledge so I could patch the driver for my onboard sound, which has
>> levels that are too low currently.
>>
>> Keep in mind that FreeBSD is an experience more than simply an OS.  The
>> time spent getting your Audigy LS to work properly (which I'm sure it
>> will) will be repaid a thousand fold in terms of increased knowledge and
>> experience.  I recall installing 4.2 and trying to get a SoundBlaster
>> 8-bit original card working... what a nightmare!  But looking back, it
>> was
>> worth every frustrating moment.
>>
>> Finally, please include more information explaining why something isn't
>> working in future mailings (so that we can be more helpful).
>>
>> Ciao;
>> Andy.
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Erik Udo wrote:
>>

>>> I just bought creative labs soundblaster live! soundcard,
>>> and it's not working, becouse it is really a Audigy LS card.
>>> I was really disappointed. Is it possible to get any soundcard
>>> working properly?
>>>
>>> One integrated card worked fine, but the motherbard
>>> was too old. Second motherboard with integrated soundcard worked,
>>> but it couldn't change the volume. Third motherbord, the sound
>>> was going too fast. And this PCI soundcard i just bought, isn't
>>> just simply supported.
>>>
>>> I got it working using opensound but still, i dont like opensound.
>>>
>>> Will SoundBlaster live! Audigy LS ever be supported?
>>>
>>> So what sound cards does FreeBSD 5.3 really support. And i mean 100%.
>>> What sound card should i get?
>>

> in http://chibis.persons.gfk.ru/audigy/#build
>  Audigy LS and Audigy 2 Value (PCI chip IDs 0x00071102 and 0x00081102)
> are not supported and added to list of known but unsupported cards. They
> WILL NOT be supported by this driver. I don't have this cards.
>

> I'll just try adding the IDs manually.

emu10kx0: <Creative Audigy LS [SB????]> port 0xeea0-0xeebf irq 16 at
device 13.0 on pci0
pcm0: <EMU10Kx PCM Interface> on emu10kx0
pcm0: AC97 reset timed out.
pcm0: ac97 codec invalid or not present (id == 0)
pcm0: can't init mixer!
device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

Almost.. i guess. My skills aren't just good enough to fix that.