Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:35:20 +0200
From:      "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        "cyberstorm" <cyberstorm@prodigy.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: BSD Inquiry...

You are right, Kevin, that I exaggerated a little.  There were good reasons
for this but they are not applicable to all users, of course.  I think that
my further comments on this should more appropriately be made on the newbie
list, and I'll do that when I've had time to put virtual pen to v-paper.

But the point I was trying to make was that nobody makes 'user'*-friendly
installation like Microsoft.  Solaris - at least on the free version 7 I
have - comes closest.  Some Linux distributions - people who know mention
especially the Corel distribution in this context - are also very good.

FreeBSD just isn't in the same ballpark.  You have to have a good idea of
what you are doing to do anything at all.  I'm not trying to start a flame
war here, just presenting my own point of view.  I estimate that my point of
view lies well above the 'user'* level - I'm a good NT system
administrator - but well below the average 'hacker'** level in this
conference.

* 'user' = a little above the Homer Simpson level
** 'hacker' = someone who dreams in c

mvh/regards

James